I wanted to try this amazing recipe from Oh She Glows, mainly because I wanted to see if pressing tofu really made a difference. I think it did, and it wasn't that hard. I simply wrapped the tofu in a clean tea towel, pressed it down with a large can of chickpeas and let the water evaporate for 20min to an hour.
Yield Four 3/4 cup servings
Prep time 20 Minutes
Cook time 20 Minutes
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, rinsed and pressed
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups diced onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup diced potato (~115 grams or half a medium potato)
- 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms (I used portabello)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3-4 tbsp minced basil
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1-1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt + black pepper
- For garnish: chopped salsa, avocado (or guacamole) green onion
- Press tofu: Rinse the tofu with water. Wrap the tofu in tea towel and press a can into the wrapped tofu. Let sit for at least 20 min to 2hrs to soak out the water.
- When you're ready heat a large skillet with 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic, onion and then add diced potato and stir. Finally add mushrooms and sauté for 15 minutes, reducing heat if necessary and stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Remove tofu from towel. It becomes quite crumbly, making it the perfect texture and size.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the nutritional yeast, crumbled tofu, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking on low until potato is cooked through.
- Serve tofu mix with warmed tortillas with bowls of salsa, guacamole, green onions, and whichever condiments you like. and let everyone make their own customized breakfast burrito!