We had some mangoes and a pineapple that needed to be used, so I googled it and found this recipe. Half way through mixing, we opened up the pineapple and found out it had gone bad, so I substituted with some frozen fruit (pineapple, strawberry & mango mix), fresh strawberries and an apple. I also substituted the margarine with sunflower oil, and left out the pecans and coconut since I didn't have any. I ended up doubling the topping as I was sending half of it to my brother and sister-in-law who just had twins! I highly recommend this one, it turned out to be a delicious & perfect recipe finale.
|I did have some help in the kitchen...|
|Fruit Crumble from Vegetarian Times|
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup plus 3 Tbs. packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ¾ tsp. grated nutmeg, divided
- ¼ tsp. ground allspice, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 5 Tbs. chilled vegan margarine, cut into pieces, divided
- ½ cup raw pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 ½ cups)
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes (2 ½ cups)
2. Combine remaining 3 Tbs. brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp. allspice in large bowl. Add mangoes and pineapple, and toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish; dot top with remaining 1 Tbs. margarine. Sprinkle oat topping over mango mixture.
3. Bake 40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and juices bubble. Cool 10 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.