Earth Day for me is a reminder to appreciate Mother Earth, not only today, but everyday, and to remember that every little thing we do has an impact on the earth. Here are a few tips to help make your daily life a little greener...
- put up a 'pas de circulaires' or 'no flyers please' note by your mailbox (it'll change your life!). You don't need to buy an official sticker, we made one ourselves and it does the trick.
- sign up for online billing; you can usually do this through your bank, or check on the back of your bill (sometimes it even saves you money)
- pick up a stainless steel water bottle and/or travel mug; millions of water bottles end up in landfills everyday.
- bike to work; if you don't have your own bike, check out bixi bikes in Montreal
- make your own lunch... or if you pick up food, ask them to wrap it in wax paper instead of using styrofoam, or better yet, bring your own tupperware.
- eat less meat; factory farms are responsible for more than 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions worldwide.
- compost your food scraps; if you live in Montreal you can get an outdoor composter at you local Eco Quartier or make your own worm composter
- recycle; I know this is an obvious one, but there are still some people who don't do it...
- buy a reusable canvas bag; carry one with you so that you're ready for the spontaneous grocery shop (they even make bags that fold up into teeny tiny squares, so that it won't take up too much room in your bag).
If you have any other suggestions or tips, please add them into the comments section, I'd love to hear them!