Levi loves muffins, and they make the perfect healthy snack, so I'm always on the lookout for new muffin recipes. These turned out to be light, fluffy and delicious.
Vegan Carrot Spice MuffinsRecipe from oh she glows (Adapted from FFVK)
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 & 3/4 cup whole-grain Kamut flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup natural sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3//4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Wet + Mix-ins:
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (oil replacer)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk OR yogurt - I used almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in water and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped & toasted walnuts (optional)
1. Toast the walnuts (optional) on a baking sheet for about 8 minutes at 300F. Remove and set aside. Preheat oven to 400F and line a muffin tin with liners.
2. Whisk all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (maple syrup, applesauce, coconut milk, water, vanilla). Add the wet to the dry and mix until just incorporated. Batter will be THICK!
3. Fold in the carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Scoop batter into the muffin liners, filling batter to the top. Bake for about 18 minutes at 400F until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.