Vegan Date Sweet Potato Spelt Muffins
A yoga student actually told me about this recipe! She said it is her favourite muffin recipe and it just happened to be vegan! Every time I bake them I get asked for the recipe, so I thought it would be a good one to start off the Spring Challenge with at Luna!
The recipe below has my own personal notes, but you can find the original recipe with nutrition info here: Vegan Date Sweet Potato Spelt Muffins
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (don't skimp on the bananas! This makes the muffins super moist!)
- 1 cup sunflower oil (I substituted this with liquid coconut oil)
Add to wet ingredients
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3 cups spelt flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups oats
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375F. (Personally, I have an oven that runs a little on the hot side... So I usually reduce the recommended temperature by 25 degrees.)
- Combine the wet ingredients (mashed bananas and sunflower oil) in a bowl. Add the cane sugar and chopped dates. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients. (I like to mix the dry ingredients first: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, oats and then add the cooked sweet potato cubes and then add all the wet ingredients)
- Bake at 375F for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Again, since my oven is hotter than most it seems, I bake for less than the recommended time. I felt that 14 minutes worked best my last batch)
- It's normal for these to appear crispy and golden on top. That does not mean they are overcooked. The crispy top is part of what makes them so delicious!